We will be holding auditions for our holiday concert JINGLE on September 5 @ 7 p.m. at the University Christian Church, 3900 Cleveland Avenue, San Diego, CA 92103 (across from the Hillcrest DMV and Post Office).
IMPORTANT: You must register online ahead of time so that we can schedule your appointment.
Click here to fill out the application.
Filling out the application does not commit you to auditioning for the chorus.
All auditions and Info Night are held at our regular rehearsal home, University Christian Church, located at 3900 Cleveland Avenue in Hillcrest, across from the DMV and Hillcrest Post Office.
AUDITION REQUIREMENTS FOR THE SAN DIEGO GAY MEN’S CHORUS
To be successful in your SDGMC audition, you should have some prior music experience either singing in a school, community or church chorus, or playing a musical instrument. Most members of SDGMC possess at least basic music sight-reading skills. Your five-minute audition with members of the artistic staff will consist of the following:
• 16-32 measures of a prepared solo that you enjoy singing. You must either bring sheet music for our accompanist, or an iPod-compatible player with an accompaniment track. We will provide a dock with speakers. Sorry, but no unaccompanied auditions are permitted. Part of your audition is determining how well you sing in tune to an accompaniment.
(15 points max.)
• A check of your vocal range, from high notes to low notes, to determine your vocal placement
• A check to see how accurately you can sing a note played for you on the piano (10 points max.)
• A check to see how accurately you can sing back a short combination of notes and rhythms played on the piano (10 points max.)
•A short six-question “match the music symbol to its name” quiz to check your knowledge of basic music notation symbols (6 points max.)
•A simple four to eight-measure sight-reading exercise (10 points max.)
A combined score of 35 points is needed for admission to the chorus.
AUDITION REQUIREMENTS FOR THE CHAMBER CHORALE ARE CLOSED AT THIS TIME
To be successful in your Chamber Chorale audition, you should be an experienced singer either singing in a school, community or church chorus, preferably in Masterworks choral style music. Your five-minute audition with members of the artistic staff will consist of the following:
• We suggest performing Caro Mio Ben. Once you have completed an online audition application we will send you sheet music for both a high and a low voicing. You may search YouTube for numerous performances to help learn the song.
• If you do not choose to perform Caro Mio Ben, you may also choose any song from Schirmer’s Twenty-Four Italian Songs and Arias. At the audition, you would need to bring at least 4 copies of the sheet music for the accompanist and adjudicators. (If you are singing Caro Mio Ben, we have copies already)
FORMER SDGMC MEMBERS
If you wish to return as a singing member and are not returning from a formal leave of absence, you will be required to go through the audition process. Your eligibility for membership will be based on the same audition requirements and point system detailed above.